Have you been wondering what the best fly rods of all time are?
Hopefully, this article will reveal it to you. Well, in the end, it really depends on your needs. This is a very common question that budding and veteran anglers alike ask. But, in truth, the best fly rod of all time is determined by what you fish for – now and in the future.
When I see many people ask me this question “What’s the best fly rods of all time?” on this site, I interpret that what’s a fly rod that’s reliable, efficient, and well-worth for your fishing needs.
So, I have picked a few fly rods that I believe will be excellent for your needs – and particularly they provide excellent value for your money.
Before jumping into my breakdown of the best fly rods of all time, let’s be clear on our fishing gear.
Questions to ask yourself:
#What types of fish do you fish for?
#How many pieces can the fly rod be broken down into?
#What particular line weight can the fly rod cast?
#What is the fly rod made of and its length?
#What fly rod action can you handle?
By answering these questions honestly, you’ll be able to settle on the best fly rod for you. You don’t need recommendations from your friends or neighbors. Still, sifting through hundreds of fly rods for a single fly rod is nearly impossible.
Those are our choice for the best fishing rods for the money:
- Wild Water 5/6 Fly Fishing Rod
- Wakeman Charter Fishing Rod
- Moonshine Drifter Series Fly Fishing Rod
- Piscifun Sword Graphite Fishing Rod
- Cadence CC5 Spinning Fly Rod
- PLUSINNO Fly Fishing Rod With Carbon Fiber
Top Fly Fishing Rods: Comparison Table
6 Best Fly Rods Review
We had selected a panel of 10 experts in the sport of fly fishing. The 10 experts waded through all the fly rods available in a given market and made their decisions for the best ones.
Within this article, we’ll discuss how to choose the best fly rods of all time. Also, we’ll share reviews of our 1 top picks as the best fly rods of all time!
#1. Wild Water 5/6 Fly Fishing Rod Complete Starter Package
This wild water fly fishing starter package can be a great choice for any sort of fly fishing.
You’ll get total 4 large rods, one large arbor reel, and one fly box with different flies and one-rod tube with an instruction manual.
Here’s what these wild water fly rod look like:
Let’s explore all the features offered by this rod:
- Size: The rod is 9 ft. long and you’ll get total 4 rods with the package. Besides, it has 5/ 6 weight line options and one mid-flex. The rod weighs about 5.7 pounds which makes it easy to carry anywhere.
- Body: The whole body of the rods is made of pure stainless steel which ensures its overall durability. Besides, the reel is made of die-cast aluminum and all other internal components are also made of stainless steel including its stripper & snake guides with the hook keeper. It also features a 7-inch grip that is made of high-graded cork and ensures easy handling.
- Accessories: The package features a waterproof fly box with floating capability. It can hold over 372 flies inside the box. Besides, it also has 3 sets of Parachute Adams, Black Ants, & some Ear Nymph flies whereas all of their sizes are 14. You’ll also get one 9 ft. mono-filament, nylon leader.
- Warranty: The wild water fly fishing package has a full lifetime warranty feature and amazing customer support. You’ll get all kinds of assistance when necessary.
- Unique Features: The rod has disc drag feature that allows fine adjustments. Besides, you’ll get one line nipper tool which can be used to trim the leader & line. Besides, it also helps you to easily nail knot and has a needle to clean the hook eye. It also has a retractable zinger to attach the reel with your shirt, vest or coat.
2. Wakeman Charter Series Fly Fishing Rod with Carrying Bag (Model - FSH8000)
The Wakeman Charter Series Fly Fishing Combo comes with two different options, the regular and the premium pack.
The Rod is fully collapsible and compact which allows you to take it to anywhere.
The premium pack has total 3 fiberglass rods. Besides, you’ll get a pre-spooled reel and one carry bag.
Here’s what these wakeman charter fishing rod look like:
Let’s look at some other features offered by this combo:
- Size: The rod becomes 97 inches in length when fully extended and becomes 33.5 inches when you disassemble it. The reel has a 45 feet long line and 9 feet tapered leader line with some flies.
- Body: The rods are made of fiberglass material which is completely heat-resistant and lighter than stainless steel. Besides, it has a pre-spooled reel and the reel seat is made of pure graphite. It also has stainless steel guides.
- Accessories: The Wakeman Charter combo comes with one carrying bag that protects your gear while storing and traveling. Besides, it also has two dry flies that allow you to perform fishing right away after buying.
- Unique Features: You’ll get a cork handle in the premium pack which provides smooth handling whereas the regular pack consists an EVA foam grip handle.
#3. Moonshine Rod Co. The Drifter Series Fly Fishing Rod
Here’s what these Moonshine dirfter fly rod look like:
The Drifter Series Fly Fishing Rod from Moonshine Rod Company is a medium-action fly rod that offers excellent fly fishing performance. This fly rod comes with the construction of carbon fiber. It features a reel seat that is made of anodized copper.
Alongside the construction materials, this lightweight fly rod weighs only 3.2 ounces, which is also a durable fly rod. Since it’s perfect for bass fishing, it’s undoubtedly one of the best fly rod choices for you, no matter you’re a beginner or an experienced fly fisher.
Also, this fly rod is available in a 4-piece design. This design makes it easier to transport to different places without consuming much space. If you’re going to purchase this fly fishing rod, it may be one of the suitable options for you.
#4. CC5 Spinning Combo Fly Rod & Reel Review
Best Fly Rod under $200! When the budget for a fly rod is set to $200, you have game-changing gear. The best fly rod under $200 are the ones that feature solid build, smooth drag, increased accuracy, encompassing, and above all excellent value for money.
If you’d like to chase average-sized fish species that make long runs, you’ll need a reliable rod that can hold a lot of line.
Here are our picks for the best fly rod under $200:
For tremendous flexibility in catching small to average-sized fish, a fly fishing combo set is worth considering.
The Cadence CC5, in particular, offers a combination of superior-designed fly rod and reel.
Construction complemented by durability and innovations, the Cadence CC5 will be well-worth your investment.
An ultralight spinning rod and reel can be an excellent choice for the budding anglers who don’t want to chase monstrous catfish, but simply want to catch small stuff on a weekend trip.
Weighing less than 2 ounces, anglers love the Cadence CC5 reel because they can fish all day without fatigue and catch bass, trout, redfish, etc effortlessly.
Why wouldn’t they?
At under 2 ounces, you can pack the combo and be about your business right away.
The Cadence CC5 uses graphite construction technology that limits the weight without compromise quality. The Cadence CC5 also utilizes stainless steel guides that resist corrosion and stand the test of time. The strong carbon composite frame can stand up to high pressure and torque.
What’s more, the ergonomic EVA handle provides extreme comfort for handling. The stainless steel main shaft keeps the fly fishing combo on the lightweight spectrum. For smooth and resistance free casting, I like the fact Cadence utilized 8 ball bearings coupled with instant anti-bearing.
- Carbon fiber drag system
- Carbon composite drag
- 24-ton graphite
- EVA handle knob
- Stainless main shaft & aluminum pinion gear
#5. PLUSINNO Fly Fishing Rod with Toray Carbon Fiber
The PLUSINNO Fly Fishing Rod comes with two different weight options that are suitable for all kinds of fly fishers.
The full combo offers 4 pieces of rods with.
You’ll get cork handle, diecast arbor spool and an aluminum reel for getting an improved fishing experience.
Here’s what these Plusinno fly rod look like:
Let’s explore some other features offered by this gear:
- Size: The package comes in two different weight options. One is the 8 ft. rod with 5- weight and the other is 8 ft. rod with 6- weight. Both of the packages come with 4 pieces of rod.
- Body: The rod is made of pure graphite which is super light in weight. It also features diecast arbor spool and high-quality cork handles for smooth grip. The reel is made of pure aluminum and the snake guides are stainless steel that prevents it from corrosion.
- Accessories: You’ll get a beautiful carrier case that’ll help you to store everything inside it. Besides, it also comes with a fishing pole and a fishing line along with some fishing lures.
- Warranty: The product comes with 1 Year Service Warranty.
- Unique Features: The fishing reels are completely metal adjustable & fixed which avoids loosing of swing phenomenon in a round fish. It also has a powerful butt section that enables to produce longer casts.
#6. M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Extreme Graphite Fly Fishing Rod
The M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Extreme Graphite Fly Fishing Rod is designed to provide you with a high-level fishing experience in all water conditions.
This powerful fishing rod is made of IM12 40T+46T Carbon fiber which is extremely durable and light in weight.
Besides, it has 5 layers of Ultra Lightweight Nano+ Carbon that ensure improved casting.
Here’s what these M Maximumcatch graphite fly rod look like:
Let’s explore some other features offered by this gear:
- Size: The rod comes with 3 different weight options. They are 9 ft. & 5wt/ 6wt or 8wt in size. The package provides 4 piece rods of the same size.
- Body: The body of the rod is made of pure IM12 40T+46T Carbon fiber which ensures extreme durableness of the rod. The handle is made of AAA+ Contoured Cork which enables comfortable grasping. The reel seat is also made of top quality aluminum.
- Accessories: You’ll get one high-quality cotton bag and one beautiful rod tube with the package.
- Warranty: The product features a 1 year Service warranty
- Unique Features: The rod is made of Japanese Toray NANO+ MAXSPIRAL III blank technology that is meant to ensure extreme durableness. You can use the rod without ever concerning about its fragility. It features 5 layers of Ultra Lightweight Nano+ Carbon that provides 30% improvement in Casting.
How to Choose the Best Fly Rods Of All Time?
Just being able to catch fish isn’t what the sole purpose of a fly rod is. There are many components go into fly rods that need to be considered carefully before purchase. These components can make or break your fly fishing experience.
Check out the following factors before purchase.
Fly Rod Length
Fly rods are usually 6 to 10 feet long. Short rods are best for short casts and tiny stream settings. And, long rods are for longer casts. Here’s the quick review on fly rod lengths.
- 9 feet: Best for making distant casts – if you fish in windy situations or use a heavy line, get 9 feet.
- 5 feet: Best in general for a wide range of fishing conditions.
- 8 feet or less: Best for short and precise casts – if you want to chase pan-fish, streamers, or use a light fly line, then get 8 feet.
Fly Line and Rod Weight
The weight of Fly rod is measured between a 1 to 12 scales. A rule of thumb is the heavier the rod weight, the heavier the fish you’ll be able to catch. The scale measurement refers to how thick and heavy fly line the rod is capable to bear.
It’s very crucial that you get the weight of your fly rod right for the weight of your fly line. If you have a 3wt fly rod, purchasing a 5wt fly line would botch up your expedition.
How to know what weight of fly line should you use?
Check the chart below:
Get weight 1-3: if you plan on catching small fish species (trout, brook, etc.).
Get weight 4: as it’s generally an all-around fly line weight for all small fish species.
Get weight 5: if you want to catch average sized fish species.
Get weight 6: if you want to hunt down brass, salmon, and other similar sized fish.
Get weight 7: for bass fishing.
Get weight 8: or above if chasing larger or stronger fish species is your passion.
Things to Consider Before Buying the Best Fishing Rod Brands
Now, we’re going to talk about the factors that you shouldn’t overlook before purchasing the fishing rod brands. So, read through and get informed about these essential things. Then, buy the right fly rod and get started on your fly fishing adventure.
At first, you have to know the construction material of your fly rod. Most of them are made of either graphite or fiberglass. They can also come with a combination of both fiberglass and graphite materials. For beginners, a fly rod made of graphite is an ideal option.
The fishing rod is essential to allow your fly line to be cast accurately with the right amount of power. This will ensure your line reaches far into the water and should not scare away the fish. So, you need to choose one that enables you to cast accurately.
You always have to look for a fly rod that has an appropriate length. An 8.5-foot rod is suitable for all-around fly fishing if you don’t plan to go to more depth in the water. In such cases, you must go for one that is more than 9 inches according to your requirements.
How to Find the Best Fly Fishing Rod for an All-rounder Fishing Experience?
There are a number of technical aspects that you must know before finding the top fishing rod for you. You see, there are thousands of diversified fishing rods made by different brands are available on the market.
But often times, we buy them only based on their features and consequently the rods turn out to be non-durable and break out after some use.
Apart from that, there are also fishing rods that can only be used on specific water types. In fact, some rods are not meant to use for catching large size fish and only provides beginner fishing experience.
Based on these facts, we’ve made this comprehensive guide so that you can evaluate all the features of a fishing rod before buying and ultimately get the best fly fishing rod for you. So let’s begin:
Types of Fly Fishing Rods
There are different types of fishing rods in terms of their size and category. Some of them are used for longer fast action based activities and others can be for medium or all round activities.
But choosing the right one will mostly depend on your own preference. Besides, there are a number of other things that you must consider before choosing the best fishing gear.
Let’s learn about the categories and prerequisites before choosing your fishing gear:
One: Firstly, specify the place where you’re going to fish more. If you’re planning to fish mostly in mixed lake or rivers, it’s better to choose the 9 ft. & 5- weight rod for you.
Besides, if you’re a complete beginner and have no idea about the place where you’re going to fish, just buy the 9 ft. & 5 weight rod for you. Because this size is almost versatile to most fly fishers.
Two: If you’re planning to fish mostly in small water, consider an 8 ½ ft. 5-weight or a 9 ft. 4-weight rod. Both of them are suitable for fishing in small water or creek.
Three: In case of salt water, the 9 ft. & 8- weight is the best option to choose. This size is most popular among salt-water fly fishers. The rod is perfect to fish all kinds of sea trout, bonefish, redfish, and small striped bass.
Four: The line weight is also an important thing you must consider before buying the rod. Fishing rods with higher line weight ensure high performance and are capable to cast larger flies in the wind.
Besides, they have the ability to catch larger fish easily from any water. On the other hand, fly rods with lower line weight have greater stealth and touch. They are less capable to catch spooky fish.
Five: Always choose a rod with a medium/ medium-fast or fast action capacity. It’s better to avoid a slow action or ultra-fast rod.
It’ll give you a not too stiff or soft experience.
Now, let’s learn about all the different rods with their different action capacity:
- 9 ft. 5/4-weight (for medium fast action)
- 8 ft. 3-weight or 7 ft. 7inches & 3-weight ( for medium action for dry flies)
- 9 ft. 6 inches & 6-weight (for longer, fast action & fishing heavy nymphs and streamers)
- 9 ft. 6-weight (for all-around nymph and streamer rod)
The Body Material
The body material of a fishing rod is extremely important as it ensures the overall durableness of your rod.
There are basically 3 types of fishing rods in terms of their building material. All of them are great for use.
Besides, if the handle is made of cork, you’ll get an effective handling experience.
Now let’s learn about some essential things to consider before looking for these different material rods:
- If the rod is made of Graphite make sure it has a standard IM grade. This indicates the quality standard of your rod. Some of the standard grades are IM6, IM7, IM8 & IM12.
- Carbon Fiber made rod are extremely durable and strong. If your rod is made of carbon fiber, you don’t ever have to concern about its durableness. At the same time, the material is super light in weight. This helps you to easily carry the rod anywhere with you and experience high performance while fishing.
- Some regular option rods come with foam made grip handles. Although the EVA foam is good it’s always better to choose the cork-made handle if it’s been included on the premium option. It will provide you with a smoother handling experience and ensure a firm and comfortable grip.
- Always look for the material of the reel before buying your rod. Because it’s the only component of your fishing gear where most of the pressure is consumed. Steel and Aluminum made reels appear to be strong and durable.
If you’re buying a rod without the reel, you can spend twice as much for the rod than your reel. Besides, it’s recommended to buy a 4 piece rod than buying a 2 piece one.
They are more flexible and suitable for all-rounder use. Now, the price of your rod will mostly depend on the number of features and additional accessories that comes with the package.
Based on some best performance rods in the current market, their price may range from $70 to $250 dollars depending on the quality & body material of the rod. You can easily choose the perfect one that suits your budget.
Why Choosing the Best Fly Fishing Rod is Important for you?
As you can see, the overall performance of your fishing activity will most depend on the rod you choose.
If you’ve gone through our top-rated list of best 10 fly fishing rods reviews, you’ll find some of the fly rods on the list are exclusively designed to help any beginner level fly-fishers.
They are designed to provide an all-rounder experience with the help of their professional features.
Now let’s explore some of the irresistible benefits of choosing the best fly rod for you:
- They are extremely durable and provide top-notch performance. You’ll get a professional level fishing experience without ever concerning about the fragility of your rod.
- They have the perfect length and weight that is suitable to use in all water conditions.
- They are easy to maintain and has a compatible reel and line which allow you to effectively fish with higher flexibility and options.
- They come with different unique features and accessories that make the whole fishing process much convenient for you.
- They have cork made handles that are meant to provide you smooth grip and handling.
- They come with rod tube and case to conveniently store and carry them while traveling.
- They come with product warranty and have a responsive support system in case of any difficulties.
Maintenance of your Fly Fishing Rod
Now we’ll learn about some of the crucial tips to maintain your fishing rods. You must take care of your fishing gear as it helps you to get a consistent performance from them.
Besides, it will stay in the exact top-edge condition after buying for year after year.
Now let’s learn about all the essential tips to maintain your fishing rods:
- Store Your Rods in a Dry & Clean Area: Your rods will stay best in a dry area where there is no extreme hot or cold. High-density temperature can weaken the material inside your rod over time. Besides, it’s not good for your cork handles.
- Store them in a Rack or Tube: Storing your rods in a rack or tube will help them to stay unbend. Oftentimes, they get broken while traveling for not staying in a tube.
- Clean your Fishing Rods after Every Use: You should regularly clean your rods after every use. Most essentially after fishing in a dirty or salty water condition. Besides, you should completely dry them to remove all the remaining water before storing.
- Occasionally clean it with Warm Water and Soap: You should clean your rods with warm water and soap for every 3 to 6 months. Besides, never put oils on the cork handle.
- Test your Reel before Every Use: You should test the drag and action of your reel before every use. It will accelerate the overall function of your reel and provide you smooth performance while fishing. Besides, separate the arbor from the reel after every use and let it become dry before storing.
- Never add Lubricants on the Reel: Never add any grease or lubricants to your reel because it may hamper the smoothness of your reel.
- Not-to-mention, they’ve been designed to keep the drag and action function smoother without the help of any accelerating materials.
- Clean your Reel and Fly Line Periodically: Clean your reel after removing the arbor and wipe out all the dirt and debris that has been built over time. Besides, clean your line with the use of mild detergent and remove the dirt and debris after every 4-5 use.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long should a fly fishing rod be?
Ans: Generally, the length of fly rods varies from 6ft to 10ft. Fly rods tend to be longer than conventional rods. Choose short rods if you want to fish in small creeks. Long rods work well in large bodies of water.
Q: What does weight mean for a fly rod?
Ans: Depending on what you fish for, the weight of your fly rod will vary. 5-weight rod being the best for overall use, you can pick 4-wt, 5-wt, or 6-wt depending on your fishing journey.
Q: What is a fast fly rod?
Ans: A fast-action rod helps you chase larger fish. This type of rod offers sheer power and performance with relatively less flex.
Q: What is the best color for fishing line?
Ans: Most people choose monofilament for fishing line. Additionally, yellow is sensitive to bites. You may also go for red, which becomes invisible underwater.
Q. Which category of the fly fishing rod is best suited for me?
Ans: If you’re a complete beginner to fly-fishing, we recommend you to choose the medium fast-action rod for you. Otherwise, you can buy the category as per your need and based on the area where you’re going to fish.
Q. How much price should I pay for a fishing rod?
Ans: Actually, it depends on your budget and the quality of gear you’re looking for. The price may range from under $100 and all the way up to $250 depending on the quality of the components & accessories that are coming with the rod.
Hopefully, after reading this article, you have a clear idea of the best fly rods of all time. Now all you have to do is pick a rod from our recommendations based on your fishing needs.
We believe our guide on fly fishing rods reviews has helped you to choose the best fly fishing rod for yourself and gave you an extensive idea about all the technical aspects to look for while choosing the perfect fishing rod for you.
In short, fishing is a favorite summer pastime that allows you to spend a day away calm and quiet from the hustle of city life.
When the water of your favorite fishing hole reaches its warmth, it’s a great time to head out to achieve a great catch.
However, you can’t only rely on great efforts without the right gear. To get ready for a successful fishing session, we’ve provided you with a variety of the top fishing brands above in this article.
If you’re a beginner or an experienced angler, any of the gear from our above lists can be a suitable choice for you.
In addition, we also provided you technical descriptions about some of the top-rated fly fishing rods that are available on the market.
Besides, the maintenance strategies that we’ve discussed will be crucial for you to effectively store and maintain your fishing gears for many years. Stay tuned with us for more info-guides like this. We appreciate your presence.
Some Important Articles Our Readers Love: