"When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission."
Welcome to Honest Fishers. Finding the best fly fishing rods can be a bit challenging task for you if you aren’t familiar with all the essential features a standard fishing rod offers.
Fly fishing is a lucrative hobby. Maybe you’re completely new to fly fishing or perhaps, it’s been your passion for decades.
In either case, you do know the outstanding benefits of using the best fishing rod and how much role it plays in your whole fishing process.
In this fly fishing rods reviews guide, we are going to give you an extensive idea on the best fly fishing rods and how to choose them.
There are thousands of best fly fishing rods in the market. Many of them come with different features and accessories.
But in our experience, we found that buying a fishing rod just by seeing its funky features can be a big downside for you if you aren’t certain about the durability of that rod and do not read the instructional manual before using. Consequently, it breaks out after some use and gives you an awful experience.
Keeping that in mind, we’ve surveyed the best fly fishing rods available in the market right now and brought you the “Best 10 Fly Fishing Rods Reviews” in this guide.
Besides, the second half of this article will cover a “Buyer Guide” so that you can have an extensive idea about all the aspects to look for while choosing the best fly fishing rods for you.
Table of Contents
- Our Top 5 Fly Fishing Rods List Here:
- Wild Water 9’ & 5/6 Fly Fishing Rod Complete Starter Package
- Our Top 5 Fly Fishing Rods (comparison table)
- 01. Wild Water 9’ & 5/6 Fly Fishing Rod Complete Starter Package
- 2. Wakeman Charter Series Fly Fishing Rod with Carrying Bag (Model - FSH8000)
- 3. Orvis Encounter 5-weight 9' Fly Rod Outfit
- 4. Fenwicks AETOS Fly Rods
- 5. Organized Fishing Round Floor Rod
- 6. M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Fiberglass Fly Fishing Rod
- 7. M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Extreme Graphite Fly Fishing Rod
- 8. M MAXIMUMCATCH Ultra-lite Fly Fishing Rod
- 9. Tailwater Outfitters Toccoa High-Performance Fly Fishing Rod
- 10. PLUSINNO Fly Fishing Rod with Toray Carbon Fiber
- How to Find the Best Fly Fishing Rod for an All-rounder Fishing Experience?
- Types of Fly Fishing Rods
- The Body Material
- Price Information
- Why Choosing the Best Fly Fishing Rod is Important for you?
- Maintenance of your Fly Fishing Rod
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 01. Which category of the fly fishing rod is best suited for me?
- 02. What should be the standard length and weight for my fishing rod?
- 03. Should I buy a combo package or only the rod for fishing?
- 04. How much price should I pay for a fishing rod?
- 05. How long does a fly fishing rod last?
- Final World
- Some Important Articles Our Readers Love:
Our Top 5 Fly Fishing Rods List Here:
Are You In A Hurry?
Our Test Winner After 30 + Hours Of Research:
Wild Water 9’ & 5/6 Fly Fishing Rod Complete Starter Package
Why do we rate it highly?
- Waterproof Fly Box with 3 different Flies.
- This wild water fly fishing starter package can be a great choice for any sort of fly fishing.
- It also helps you to easily nail knot and has a needle to clean the hook eye.
Our Top 5 Fly Fishing Rods (comparison table)
01. Wild Water 9’ & 5/6 Fly Fishing Rod Complete Starter Package
This wild water fly fishing starter package can be a great choice for any sort of fly fishing.
You’ll get total 4 large rods, one large arbor reel, and one fly box with different flies and one-rod tube with an instruction manual.
Let’s explore all the features offered by this rod:
Size: The rod is 9 ft. long and you’ll get total 4 rods with the package. Besides, it has 5/ 6 weight line options and one mid-flex. The rod weighs about 5.7 pounds which makes it easy to carry anywhere.
Body: The whole body of the rods is made of pure stainless steel which ensures its overall durability.
Besides, the reel is made of die-cast aluminum and all other internal components are also made of stainless steel including its stripper & snake guides with the hook keeper.
It also features a 7-inch grip that is made of high-graded cork and ensures easy handling.
Accessories: The package features a waterproof fly box with floating capability. It can hold over 372 flies inside the box.
Besides, it also has 3 sets of Parachute Adams, Black Ants, & some Ear Nymph flies whereas all of their sizes are 14. You’ll also get one 9 ft. mono-filament, nylon leader.
Warranty: The wild water fly fishing package has a full lifetime warranty feature and amazing customer support. You’ll get all kinds of assistance when necessary.
Unique Features: The rod has disc drag feature that allows fine adjustments. Besides, you’ll get one line nipper tool which can be used to trim the leader & line.
Besides, it also helps you to easily nail knot and has a needle to clean the hook eye. It also has a retractable zinger to attach the reel with your shirt, vest or coat.
2. Wakeman Charter Series Fly Fishing Rod with Carrying Bag (Model - FSH8000)
The Wakeman Charter Series Fly Fishing Combo comes with two different options, the regular and the premium pack.
The Rod is fully collapsible and compact which allows you to take it to anywhere.
The premium pack has total 3 fiberglass rods. Besides, you’ll get a pre-spooled reel and one carry bag.
Let’s look at some other features offered by this combo:
Size: The rod becomes 97 inches in length when fully extended and becomes 33.5 inches when you disassemble it.
The reel has a 45 feet long line and 9 feet tapered leader line with some flies.
Body: The rods are made of fiberglass material which is completely heat-resistant and lighter than stainless steel.
Besides, it has a pre-spooled reel and the reel seat is made of pure graphite. It also has stainless steel guides.
Accessories: The Wakeman Charter combo comes with one carrying bag that protects your gear while storing and traveling.
Besides, it also has two dry flies that allow you to perform fishing right away after buying.
Unique Features: You’ll get a cork handle in the premium pack which provides smooth handling whereas the regular pack consists an EVA foam grip handle.
3. Orvis Encounter 5-weight 9' Fly Rod Outfit
The Orvis Encounter is a great choice for entry-level fly fishing.
This amazing 9 ft. rod comes with 4 pack combo deal with a carry case for storing the rods.
You’ll also get a medium-size strong reel with a 5x leader.
It also features a rod tube.
Let’s look at some other features offered by this fishing rod:
Size: The rod is 9 ft. long in length and has a 5x leader. You’ll get total 4 pieces of rods with the combo. Besides, the rod tube is 32inches in size.
Body: The body is made of pure carbon fiber which is extremely durable and strong. Besides, it’s also very light in weight that means you can easily carry it to anywhere.
The reel is made of high-quality plastic and has a large arbor and stainless steel drag system. It also has a cork handle for a smooth grip.
Warranty: The fishing rod doesn’t come with a specified term warranty. But they offer an outstanding support system upon any issue or problem.
Accessories: You’ll get a rod tube and a rod case with the combo. The case allows you to conveniently store your rods whereas the tube can be easily fitted in large or medium size luggage.
4. Fenwicks AETOS Fly Rods
The Fenwicks AETOS is another example of an amazing fishing rod that comes with different size options.
This light-weight, high-quality rod offers smooth performance for all areas of fly fishing.
The pack also comes with a rod tube and a case.
Let’s explore some other features offered by this fishing rod:
Size: The rod comes with a different number of size & weight options. They range from 9 -15 ft. But the 9 ft. & 5- weight is the most popular size in use. You’ll get total 4 pieces of rods with the package.
Body: The rod is superbly light in weight and has carbon flake accents. The handle is made of AAA+ grade cork that offers a comfortable grip.
It also comes with large diameter stripper guides and double foot snake guides. The reel is made of pure aluminum.
Accessories: The product comes with a beautiful rod tube and a bag to conveniently carry it to anywhere while traveling.
Warranty: The product has a limited lifetime warranty.
Unique Features: You can use this rod in both freshwater & saltwater conditions which gives you an all-rounder fishing experience.
5. Organized Fishing Round Floor Rod
The Organized Fishing Round Floor Rod is designed to give you an alluring fly fishing experience.
The combo has two different size options and comes with all essential accessories.
The rods are highly durable and also feature a product warranty.
Let’s explore some of the other features offered by this fishing gear:
Size: The rod comes in two different weight options. One is 9 ft. & 5- weight and the other one is 9 ft. & 6- weight. You’ll get total 4 rods with the combo pack.
Body: The body of the rod is made of IM6 grade graphite rod that provides high durability. Besides, the fly reel is made of die-cast aluminum alloy.
Warranty: The full package has a service warranty from the manufacturer.
Accessories: You’ll get a fly box and 3/4 dozen of different fly patterns with the package. The box is powered by a lanyard that helps you easily carry it with you without losing.
Besides, you’ll get a line clipper that is made of stainless steel and is super durable.
The package also comes with a zinger retractor, pre-spooled line, backing, and leader and a beautiful harden case that can hold everything inside of the package.
6. M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Fiberglass Fly Fishing Rod
This M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Fiberglass Fly Fishing rod is an excellent choice for all the women fly-fishers.
It has been designed exclusively for women.
The rod has two different size options and made of extremely durable carbon fiber material.
The rod features slim blank technology and also comes with a beautiful rod tube.
Let’s explore some other features offered by this fishing gear:
Size: You’ll get 4 pieces of rods with the package. The rods are 9 ft. long & have 5/6- weight options.
Body: The body of the rod is made of IM7 24+30T carbon fiber which is extremely durable. Besides, the reel seat is made of pure aluminum with AA+ grade Portuguese made cork handle which provides super smooth grip.
It also features snake guides made of stainless steel & top guides to provide high-performance.
Accessories: You’ll get a beautiful rod tube along with the package. Besides, there will be ceramic made ring stripping guides that will help you to experience lowest friction with higher line control.
Warranty: The product comes with a 1-year service warranty.
Unique Features: The product features slim blank technology that enables you to experience a better line control with medium-fast action casting.
7. M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Extreme Graphite Fly Fishing Rod
The M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Extreme Graphite Fly Fishing Rod is designed to provide you with a high-level fishing experience in all water conditions.
This powerful fishing rod is made of IM12 40T+46T Carbon fiber which is extremely durable and light in weight.
Besides, it has 5 layers of Ultra Lightweight Nano+ Carbon that ensure improved casting.
Let’s explore some other features offered by this gear:
Size: The rod comes with 3 different weight options. They are 9 ft. & 5wt/ 6wt or 8wt in size. The package provides 4 piece rods of the same size.
Body: The body of the rod is made of pure IM12 40T+46T Carbon fiber which ensures extreme durableness of the rod.
The handle is made of AAA+ Contoured Cork which enables comfortable grasping. The reel seat is also made of top quality aluminum.
Accessories: You’ll get one high-quality cotton bag and one beautiful rod tube with the package.
Warranty: The product features a 1 year Service warranty
Unique Features: The rod is made of Japanese Toray NANO+ MAXSPIRAL III blank technology that is meant to ensure extreme durableness.
You can use the rod without ever concerning about its fragility. It features 5 layers of Ultra Lightweight Nano+ Carbon that provides 30% improvement in Casting.
8. M MAXIMUMCATCH Ultra-lite Fly Fishing Rod
The M MAXIMUMCATCH Ultra-lite is an excellent fly fishing rod for catching trout and panfish.
The combo offers a different number of size and weight options for all kinds of fly fishers.
The package also comes with a waterproof fly box with 12 pieces of flies.
Let’s explore some other features offered by this gear:
Size: The rod comes with a different number of size & weight options. They range from 6 ft. 6inches to 7ft. 6inches in length and 2 to 3 line in weight.
Besides, all the packages are divided into 3 or 4 piece rod options.
Body: The body of the rod is made of IM8 graphite that ensures super durability and exclusive performance.
It comes with ceramic stripping guides and chrome snake guides to provide smooth gliding.
The reel seat is made of pure aluminum. It also has AA+ grade cork handles that ensures an improved handling experience.
Accessories: The package comes with a waterproof fly box with 12 pieces of flies.
It helps to keep the flies in a dry condition. Besides, it also has one beautiful rod tube and one beautiful bag to carry it anywhere.
Unique Features: The rod features exclusive MAXSPIRAL Blank Technology that provides 20% more improvement in presentation.
9. Tailwater Outfitters Toccoa High-Performance Fly Fishing Rod
The Tailwater Outfitters Toccoa is without-a-doubt a high-performance & super quality fishing rod for all the professional fly fishers.
The rod comes with different weight options and has a durable body.
The 5 Year Service Warranty with other essential features makes it a perfect choice for all the fly fishers.
Here are some other features offered by this fishing gear:
Size: The rod comes with three different weight options. The basic length is 8 ft. & 4 inches whereas it has 3/ 5 or 8- weight options. You’ll get 4 piece rods with the package.
Body: The body of the rod is made of IM8 Graphite that ensures durability and accurate performance.
Besides, it has ceramic stripping guides & chrome snake guides for smooth gliding.
The reel seat is made of pure aluminum and has double lock rings that provide sturdy reel attachment. The handle is made of half-well cork that ensures smooth handling.
Accessories: The package comes with a 4-in-1 rod tube that has separate sections for keeping all four rods. It also keeps your rod in a safer and travel-friendly condition.
Warranty: The Product features a 5 year Service Warranty.
Unique Features: It has alignment dots that provides easy assembling experience and can get all the sections lined up.
The rod tube has an adjustable shoulder strapthat helps you sling it over your shoulder and travel easily.
10. PLUSINNO Fly Fishing Rod with Toray Carbon Fiber
The PLUSINNO Fly Fishing Rod comes with two different weight options that are suitable for all kinds of fly fishers.
The full combo offers 4 pieces of rods with.
You’ll get cork handle, diecast arbor spool and an aluminum reel for getting an improved fishing experience.
Let’s explore some other features offered by this gear:
Size: The package comes in two different weight options. One is the 8 ft. rod with 5- weight and the other is 8 ft. rod with 6- weight. Both of the packages come with 4 pieces of rod.
Body: The rod is made of pure graphite which is super light in weight. It also features diecast arbor spool and high-quality cork handles for smooth grip.
The reel is made of pure aluminum and the snake guides are stainless steel that prevents it from corrosion.
Accessories: You’ll get a beautiful carrier case that’ll help you to store everything inside it.
Besides, it also comes with a fishing pole and a fishing line along with some fishing lures.
Warranty: The product comes with 1 Year Service Warranty.
Unique Features: The fishing reels are completely metal adjustable & fixed which avoids loosing of swing phenomenon in a round fish.
It also has a powerful butt section that enables to produce longer casts.
How to Find the Best Fly Fishing Rod for an All-rounder Fishing Experience?
There are a number of technical aspects that you must know before finding the best fly fishing rod for you. You see, there are thousands of diversified fishing rods made by different brands are available on the market.
But often times, we buy them only based on their features and consequently the rods turn out to be non-durable and break out after some use.
Apart from that, there are also fishing rods that can only be used on specific water types. In fact, some rods are not meant to use for catching large size fish and only provides beginner fishing experience.
Based on these facts, we’ve made this comprehensive guide so that you can evaluate all the features of a fishing rod before buying and ultimately get the best fly fishing rod for you. So let’s begin:
Types of Fly Fishing Rods
There are different types of fishing rods in terms of their size and category. Some of them are used for longer fast action based activities and others can be for medium or all round activities.
But choosing the right one will mostly depend on your own preference. Besides, there are a number of other things that you must consider before choosing the best fishing gear.
Let’s learn about the categories and prerequisites before choosing your fishing gear:
01) Firstly, specify the place where you’re going to fish more. If you’re planning to fish mostly in mixed lake or rivers, it’s better to choose the 9 ft. & 5- weight rod for you.
Besides, if you’re a complete beginner and have no idea about the place where you’re going to fish, just buy the 9 ft. & 5 weight rod for you. Because this size is almost versatile to most fly fishers.
02) If you’re planning to fish mostly in small water, consider an 8 ½ ft. 5-weight or a 9 ft. 4-weight rod. Both of them are suitable for fishing in small water or creek.
03) In case of salt water, the 9 ft. & 8- weight is the best option to choose. This size is most popular among salt-water fly fishers. The rod is perfect to fish all kinds of sea trout, bonefish, redfish, and small striped bass.
04) The line weight is also an important thing you must consider before buying the rod. Fishing rods with higher line weight ensure high performance and are capable to cast larger flies in the wind.
Besides, they have the ability to catch larger fish easily from any water. On the other hand, fly rods with lower line weight have greater stealth and touch. They are less capable to catch spooky fish.
05) Always choose a rod with a medium/ medium-fast or fast action capacity. It’s better to avoid a slow action or ultra-fast rod.
It’ll give you a not too stiff or soft experience.
Now, let’s learn about all the different rods with their different action capacity:
- 9 ft. 5/4-weight (for medium fast action)
- 8 ft. 3-weight or 7 ft. 7inches & 3-weight ( for medium action for dry flies)
- 9 ft. 6 inches & 6-weight (for longer, fast action & fishing heavy nymphs and streamers)
- 9 ft. 6-weight (for all-around nymph and streamer rod)
The Body Material
The body material of a fishing rod is extremely important as it ensures the overall durableness of your rod.
There are basically 3 types of fishing rods in terms of their building material. All of them are great for use.
Besides, if the handle is made of cork, you’ll get an effective handling experience.
Now let’s learn about some essential things to consider before looking for these different material rods:
01) If the rod is made of Graphite make sure it has a standard IM grade.
This indicates the quality standard of your rod. Some of the standard grades are IM6, IM7, IM8 & IM12.
02) Carbon Fiber made rod are extremely durable and strong. If your rod is made of carbon fiber, you don’t ever have to concern about its durableness.
At the same time, the material is super light in weight. This helps you to easily carry the rod anywhere with you and experience high performance while fishing.
03) Some regular option rods come with foam made grip handles. Although the EVA foam is good it’s always better to choose the cork-made handle if it’s been included on the premium option.
It will provide you with a smoother handling experience and ensure a firm and comfortable grip.
04) Always look for the material of the reel before buying your rod. Because it’s the only component of your fishing gear where most of the pressure is consumed. Steel and Aluminum made reels appear to be strong and durable.
If you’re buying a rod without the reel, you can spend twice as much for the rod than your reel. Besides, it’s recommended to buy a 4 piece rod than buying a 2 piece one.
They are more flexible and suitable for all-rounder use. Now, the price of your rod will mostly depend on the number of features and additional accessories that comes with the package.
Based on some best performance rods in the current market, their price may range from $70 to $250 dollars depending on the quality & body material of the rod. You can easily choose the perfect one that suits your budget.
Why Choosing the Best Fly Fishing Rod is Important for you?
As you can see, the overall performance of your fishing activity will most depend on the rod you choose.
If you’ve gone through our top-rated list of best 10 fly fishing rods reviews, you’ll find some of the fly rods on the list are exclusively designed to help any beginner level fly-fishers.
They are designed to provide an all-rounder experience with the help of their professional features.
Now let’s explore some of the irresistible benefits of choosing the best fly fishing rod for you:
01) They are extremely durable and provide top-notch performance. You’ll get a professional level fishing experience without ever concerning about the fragility of your rod.
02) They have the perfect length and weight that is suitable to use in all water conditions.
03) They are easy to maintain and has a compatible reel and line which allow you to effectively fish with higher flexibility and options.
04) They come with different unique features and accessories that make the whole fishing process much convenient for you.
05) They have cork made handles that are meant to provide you smooth grip and handling.
06) They come with rod tube and case to conveniently store and carry them while traveling.
07) They come with product warranty and have a responsive support system in case of any difficulties.
Maintenance of your Fly Fishing Rod
Now we’ll learn about some of the crucial tips to maintain your fishing rods. You must take care of your fishing gear as it helps you to get a consistent performance from them.
Besides, it will stay in the exact top-edge condition after buying for year after year.
Now let’s learn about all the essential tips to maintain your fishing rods:
01) Store Your Rods in a Dry & Clean Area: Your rods will stay best in a dry area where there is no extreme hot or cold. High-density temperature can weaken the material inside your rod over time. Besides, it’s not good for your cork handles.
02) Store them in a Rack or Tube: Storing your rods in a rack or tube will help them to stay unbend. Oftentimes, they get broken while traveling for not staying in a tube.
03) Clean your Fishing Rods after Every Use: You should regularly clean your rods after every use. Most essentially after fishing in a dirty or salty water condition.
Besides, you should completely dry them to remove all the remaining water before storing.
04) Occasionally clean it with Warm Water and Soap: You should clean your rods with warm water and soap for every 3 to 6 months. Besides, never put oils on the cork handle.
05) Test you Reel before Every Use: You should test the drag and action of your reel before every use. It will accelerate the overall function of your reel and provide you smooth performance while fishing.
Besides, separate the arbor from the reel after every use and let it become dry before storing.
06) Never add Lubricants on the Reel: Never add any grease or lubricants to your reel because it may hamper the smoothness of your reel.
Not-to-mention, they’ve been designed to keep the drag and action function smoother without the help of any accelerating materials.
07) Clean your Reel and Fly Line Periodically: Clean your reel after removing the arbor and wipe out all the dirt and debris that has been built over time.
Besides, clean your line with the use of mild detergent and remove the dirt and debris after every 4-5 use.
Frequently Asked Questions
01. Which category of the fly fishing rod is best suited for me?
Ans: If you’re a complete beginner to fly-fishing, we recommend you to choose the medium fast-action rod for you. Otherwise, you can buy the category as per your need and based on the area where you’re going to fish.
02. What should be the standard length and weight for my fishing rod?
Ans: The most standard size for a fly fishing rod should be 9 ft. long & 5-weight. But as always, it truly depends on your preference and needs. You can learn about all the different dimensional rods with their special ability from the “Types of Fly Fishing Rods” section above.
03. Should I buy a combo package or only the rod for fishing?
Ans: It’s recommended to buy the full package as it gives you all the essential and compatible equipment with the rods. Besides, you’ll also get the necessary support from the seller upon any issue.
04. How much price should I pay for a fishing rod?
Ans: Actually, it depends on your budget and the quality of gear you’re looking for. The price may range from under $100 and all the way up to $250 depending on the quality of the components & accessories that are coming with the rod.
05. How long does a fly fishing rod last?
Ans: If you duly follow the maintenance strategies that we’ve discussed above, your fishing gears will stay in a lot better condition and provide you the potential performance for years to come.
We believe our guide on fly fishing rods reviews has helped you to choose the best fly fishing rod for yourself and gave you an extensive idea about all the technical aspects to look for while choosing the perfect fishing rod for you.
In addition, we also provided you technical descriptions about some of the top-rated fly fishing rods that are available on the market.
Besides, the maintenance strategies that we’ve discussed will be crucial for you to effectively store and maintain your fishing gears for many years. Stay tuned with us for more info-guides like this. We appreciate your presence.