Why do we rate it highly?
- The body of the fly-box is made of high-quality plastic that ensures its overall durability. In addition, the foams are made of closed cell.
- Two different size options. The large and the small. The large size can contain more flies & streamers on its foam.
- Ultra-slim & thick
Realizing the fact, we’ve brought you six BEST FLY BOX reviews in this guide which are available in the market right now.
Besides, we’ve also provided a helpful “buyer-guide” to help you choose the cool fly fishing box for your angling activities.
If you’re a passionate fly-fisher, chances are you have a hell lot of collection of different flies to meet the daily demand of your fly-fishing hobby.
The Bassdash Fly Fishing Nymph Flies kit is no doubt one of the top fishing box for dry flies suitable for all experience levels.
The Bassdash kit comes with everything you need to prepare dry and wet flies, nymphs, and streamers. After all, there’s a handy carry case for the icing on the cake.
Those are our choice for the best fishing boxes for the money:
- SF Super Slim Fly Fishing Trout Flies Fly-Box
- Bassdash Fly Fishing Nymph Box
- SF Super Slim Fly Fishing Trout Flies Box
- Flies Direct Waterproof Box
- ZALTANA Waterproof Fly Fishing Box
- M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Box
Top 6 Fly Boxes: (Comparison Table)
6 Best Fly Box Reviews
Maybe, you’re a complete beginner to fly-fishing, or perhaps, you’ve just bought your primary fishing gears to start your adventurous angling journey. In both cases, you do know the importance of keeping the fly fishing box to store your flies in a dry and organized condition.
So let’s BEGIN:
1. SF Super Slim Fly Fishing Trout Flies Box
The SF Super Slim is the perfect choice for you if you’re looking for a compact fly-box that you can conveniently carry to anywhere you want.
The body is made of durable plastic and you’ll get a different range of foam options.
Here’s what these SF super slim fly-box look like:
Let’s explore all the features offered by this fishing box:
- Size: There are two different size options for this fly-box. The large and the small. The large size can contain more flies & streamers on its foam. Besides the box is super slim and thick. The thickness is only about a half inches. Foam
- Types: The fly-box also features different types of foam options depending on the flies you’re going to store. The options are the Easy foam, Slit Foam & the Slot Foam-Liner with having the supplementary option for choosing large or small size. Besides, it also features a 12 and 18 compartment foam options that you can choose if you’re planning to store your small flies in a more organized manner.
- Body: The body of the fly-box is made of high-quality plastic that ensures its overall durability. In addition, the foams are made of closed-cell.
- Design: The body of the fly-box is a bit transparent that makes the fishing box more clear and visible to you. Besides, it’s compact and ultra-slim design can be easily fitted in a pocket and enable you to easily carry it with you.
2. Bassdash Fly Fishing Nymph Box
When people hear of fly fishing, they usually think of the rod, weight, line, and trophies.
But, fly fishing concerns another aspect, which is not insignificant in any way.
If you just got started with fly fishing and don’t have any flies for you, we’ve given you a thorough guide on how to find out the best fly fishing flies, starting with a kit that we think can make all the difference in your fly fishing world.
Flies are of course better than live baits. They obviously increase your chance of catching a wider variety of fish.
Yes, we’re talking about the Bassdash Fly Fishing Nymph Flies Kit.
This is a beautiful, compact kit that comes with most basic tools for making your own flies. Besides, it looks small and makes a great choice for fishers of all capabilities.
Here’s the breakdown of the Bassdash Fly Fishing Nymph Flies Kit!
Let’s explore all the features offered by this box:
- Overview: The Bassdash Fly Fishing Nymph Flies combo offers surprisingly and unexpectedly more value for the price. It comes with a nice assortment of dry flies that are efficient against any type of fish you want to catch. The flies are put together well and useful in different conditions. The combo includes a pack of 96 pcs fly lure and a carrying case.
- Beginner-Friendly: The Bassdash Fly Fishing Flies kit is a great starter kit for beginners. It comes with a variety of accessories and materials to help you get started. The combo is geared towards the newbie and without shortchanging the experienced angler. More and more experienced anglers prefer this combo because it is a nicely organized workstation. We absolutely loved that the kit encompasses all the tools required to make a range of fishing flies. To keep your workstation nice and clutter-free, the combo houses the flies in an ultra-thin fly box. Additionally, since the kit comes complete with all the flies’ materials, it makes a great gift idea. Present your youngster with this combo. And, they can instantly learn how to use their own flies.
- Versatile: The best fly fishing flies from Bassdash contains 96 pieces fly set. This set includes dry, streamer, and nymph flies. These are just basically everything that you might need when fly fishing. In addition, the 96 pieces fly set has flies that are 24 different types of nymphs. Each type has 4 pcs, making it 96 pcs in total. The versatile nymph pieces will come in handy if you want to figure out which fly options the fish seem most responsive to. The fly options strike a nice balance between toned-down, muted ones and the brighter and more engaging ones. What will surprise you is that… These are constructed to imitate bugs at various stages of their lifecycle. Therefore, the flies are usable throughout the year. The fly fishing flies are some attractive flies. Although they don’t resemble any insect much, they will surely catch the attention of your desired fish species. The flies are woven by hand with colorful feathers and shiny materials.
- Handmade: The abundance of fly fishing flies wouldn’t make any difference if they aren’t made properly. The difference the Bassdash flies could make is that its flies are all handmade. A great deal of care is required to make handmade flies. Therefore, you can rest assured that the flies of Bassdash will look as authentic as possible. Plus, handmade flies increase the chance of fish biting. At first glance, the top portion of the flies may disappoint you. But, they are given more muted tones that appear to be insects when looked at from far away. As a result, fish are more likely to take a nibble. Amazing, isn’t it? Not only were the flies handmade, but they also come hand-tied to the hooks for a more efficient finish.
3. New Phase Salmon Box by Kingfisher
The New Phase Salmon by Kingfisher is an ideal option for you if you’re looking for a fly-box that can hold a large collection of Streamers and Flies.
Besides, it’s a waterproof fly-box that has been made with high-quality & durable plastic.
Here’s what these SF super slim box look like:
Let’s explore some other features offered by this particular fly-box.
- Size: The New Phase fly-box features a double-sided chamber facility that can easily hold a large number of flies inside it. The overall dimension of the box is around 7.5” x 4.5” x 1.75”.
- Body: The body is made of high-quality strong plastic that ensures its overall durability. It also features hinge pins that are made of pure stainless steel with snap-tight latch & Rubber gasket seals.
- Capacity: The box can hold up to 363 flies at a time. Just imagine, how much flies you can store on this particular fly-box. The double-sided compartments made it perfect to carry two times more flies in the box. Besides, you’ll be able to carry large saltwater flies in the box.
- Slit-Foam: The New Phase fly-box features pre-slit foam slots that are made from high-density foam materials. It ensures its longevity and durableness.
- Waterproof: The unique feature of this fly-box is its waterproof function which keeps all your flies in a dry condition.
4. Flies Direct Waterproof Fly Box
Let’s start with the Flies Direct Waterproof Fishing Box that is ultra-durable and waterproof. The durable plastic design features an impact-resistant ABS plastic that can withstand years of use.
This fly-box comes with a silicone seal to make sure that it remains waterproof. It is dual-sided and has a book-style design that features high-density foam on each side. You can probably hold 126 flies in this box at the same time.
After all, this fly box comes with excellent features that can protect your valuable collection of fishing flies. If you’re after one of the best fly fishing boxes, you can pick this box for your upcoming fishing adventure.
5. ZALTANA Waterproof Fly Fishing Box
The Zaltana Fly Fishing Box is a dual-sided box that holds up to 192 fishing flies in total and 96 on each side. It also has transparent lids so that you can see the flies without opening it.
Each side of the box comes with cushioned with pre-slit foam. The holes in the foam are spaced evenly to offer increased visibility to the flies. The cushioning foam has triangle slots so that you can easily insert and retrieve the lures.
Since this fly box is the construction of durable plastic material, it’s lightweight and only weighs 6 ounces.
That’s why it’s waterproof and comfortable to carry. You’ll also have a secure locking mechanism in it.
6. M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Fly Box
The M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Box features such a design that allows you to open it two sides. Both sides of this box include pre-cut foam slits that make loading even the tiniest flies. The box has clear lids that assist the angler in identifying the content quickly.
Since this fly-box is made from durable ABS plastic, it’s impact-resistant. It’s also waterproof because it features a gasket seal that prevents the water. As a result, the inside flies always remain dry and ready to use.
The foam design is different from others and makes it slightly more functional. This box doesn’t occupy too much space, no matter the size of this box is. This means you can carry it in your pocket or the tackle box.
How To Choose The Fishing Box for Dry Flies?
The top fly box for dry flies can transform your fly fishing world. Sometimes, it gets confusing trying to wrap one’s mind around fly fishing flies.
The first decision you need to make is whether you’re going to need a whole kit or just the relevant tools.
So, do you need a complete flies kit or just a couple of accessories?
In order to carry out a successful fly fishing expedition, you need to be careful about the flies you take to a lake with you.
Before settling on a fly box, you should first decide on the type of fly fisher you are – the type of fish you catch and where you will fish. These questions will narrow down your choice regarding fly fishing kit or certain accessories.
Now, the best fly box for dry flies should be the one that contains everything you need to get started with fly fishing.
In case you are yet to be successful with fly fishing, you are going to determine the best fly fishing flies for your needs. The best fly box can ensure that you have a successful fly fishing trip.
Things to Consider Before Buying the top Fly Box
If you know about certain things before purchasing the best fishing box, you can find out the best option for you among a variety of boxes in today’s market. Let’s check out them below.
Box size is an essential factor when you’re going to get a medium to the large box. You can get a standard fly-box that comes with a slit foam. It can also be compatible with the 10 to 22 patterns.
Fly-boxes are usually made of either plastic, wooden material, or aluminum. Plastic-made fly-boxes advanced options. On the other side, an aluminum-made fishing-box is durable and can last for several generations. But it can be a bit expensive.
Clips are also essential things in fly-boxes. If your box has a large clip, you can store large flies into the box. You can choose a 6-inch fly-box that is recommended since every clip takes a single fly.
How to Find the Good Fishing Box?
Now, we’ll talk about some of the crucial aspects that you must know in order to find the better fly box for you. So let’s explore them:
01) Firstly, as you’re buying the box to store your all-favorite collection of different flies, it’s better to choose a larger box.
Because you can be able to store more flies in just one box. It will also save you from buying multiple boxes to store your larger flies that require more space.
02) Now, if you’re a beginner fly-fisher, you can definitely choose the small one as it’ll be more convenient to carry because of its compact facility.
03) There might be multiple foam options for your fly-box. Choose the one that is ideal to store your desired flies.
Some foams come with 12 or 18 compartments storing feature. If you have a diversified collection of flies and you want to store them in an organized manner, you can choose these foam options to find the required fly right away.
04) Look for the durability and material of its body. If it’s been made from high-quality plastic or metal, that would a great option to choose.
Besides, if you’re looking for a durable fly-box that is light and enables you to carry conveniently, you can choose the plastic made option.
05) Some Fly-boxes has double-sided compartments. Guess what, you can store two times more flies than the single one.
06) There are also fly-boxes where the body cover is a bit transparent. This will allow you to look inside all your available flies without necessarily opening the box cover.
Finally, some boxes also feature a waterproof function. This keeps your all flies in a dry condition. Choose them if you’re in need of this feature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I have at least one fly of each type. Which type should I choose to start fishing?
Ans: The answer is actually dependent on your fishing situation. Just go for the fly that matches the insect that is in abundance at your fishing spot. Also, remember this adage “match the hatch”.
Q: What flies should I use for trout?
Ans: These types of flies should be in your box for trout fishing: Woolly Bugger, Elk Hair Caddis, Crayfish, Pheasant Tail Nymph, San Juan Worm, and Parachute Adams.
Q: What is the difference between a wet fly and a dry fly?
Ans: Wet flies are the types that look much like insects. Wet flies look as if they were drowned insects. Dry flies, on the other hand, look as if they were floating in the water. Dry flies are a must for trout fishing.
The Bassdash Fly Fishing Flies Kit is undoubtedly the best fly box for dry flies. Offering a good assortment of flies, the kit is best for trout and bass fishing. Usable in different water bodies and conditions, the Bassdash Nymph Flies Kit ensures a great fishing experience.
We believe our guide has helped you to find the best fly-box for you. In addition, we’ve also shown you two of the fly fishing box reviews that are currently available on the market.
Thanks for being with us. We appreciate your support.